With the upcoming Thumper server, I understand that there won't be any hardware
RAID. ZFS would be the solution to use on this platform. One apparent use for
this would be an NFS server. But does it really make sense to do this over a
disk cabinet (e.g. a SCSI->SATA) with some sort of write cache? Realizing of
course that ZFS allows for near-platter speed, aren't we becoming even more
dependent on hard drive performance?

Can one appropriate RAM for a write cache to speed up remote I/O? Understanding
of course that there would be some issues with ensuring data integrity with
asynchronous writes to such write cache, it would seem that such a solution
would give certain disk cabinet manufacturers a run for their money.

-Alex