On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Adam Leventhal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure I even agree with the notion that this is a real
> > problem (and if it is, I don't think is easily solved). Stripe
> > widths are a function of the expected failure rate and fault domains
> > of the system which tend to be static in nature. A coarser solution
> > would be to create a new pool where you zfs send/zfs recv the
> > filesystems of the old pool.
>
> RAIDZ expansion is a big enough deal that I may end up buying an
> Infrant NAS box and using their X-RAID instead.  The ZFS should be
> more secure, and I *really* like the block checksumming -- but the
> ability to expand my existing pool by just adding a new disk is REALLY
> REALLY USEFUL in a small office or home configuration.

The economics of what you're saying don't make sense to me.  Let me
explain: I just did a quick grep for pricing on an Infrant X6 box at $700
with one 250Gb drive installed.  And then you would still have to add at
least one more disk drive to get data resilience.  I picked up two Seagate
500Gb drives (in Frys, on special) for $189 each.  So with a $700 budget
and ZFS .....

> Having disks down for hours at work while they arrange to make them
> bigger suggests there'd be benefits in that market, too.
>
> I see phrases like "just add another 7-disk RAIDZ", and I laugh; the
> boxes I'm looking at mostly have *4* or *5* hot-swap bays.  If I
> could, I'd start with a 2-disk RAIDZ, planning to expand it twice
> before hitting the system config limit.  A *single* 7-disk RAIDZ is
> probably beyond my means; two of them is absurd to even consider.
>
> Possibly this isn't the market ZFS will make money in, but it's the
> market *I'm* in.
> --

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005
                OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Feb 2006