To maximize the throughput, I'd go with 8 5-disk raid-z{2} luns.   Using that configuration, a full-width stripe write should be a single operation for each controller.

In production, the application needs would probably dictate the resulting disk layout.  If the application doesn't need tons of i/o, you could bind more disks together for larger luns...