On 7/18/06, Brian Hechinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:46:44AM -0400, Chad Mynhier wrote:
> On 7/18/06, Brian Hechinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Being able to remove devices from a pool would be a good thing.  I can't
> >personally think of any reason that I would ever do it, but a friend of
> >mine keeps asking me why it can't do it and that it should be able to.
> >
> >-brian
>
> This situation is implicitly included in what Jeff said, but live data
> migration is a good example of where this would come in handy.

Size upgrades you can do in place, and even migrating to a new shelf you
can do in place as well (replace individual disk in old shelf with
individual disk in new chelf).

The only place the removing disks from the pool would be useful in this
scenario would be if the new array had a fewer number of larger disks.

There are conceivable situations in which you're not able to do a
simple one-to-one device replacement.  One case is the one you give,
where you have an array with fewer, larger disks.  But it's also
feasible that the zpool structure you want to use on the new storage
doesn't match what you're doing on your current storage.

(Although I guess the fewer, larger disk scenario is just a special
case of the situation in which the resultant zpool structure doesn't
match the original.)

Chad Mynhier
http://cmynhier.blogspot.com/