Rich Teer wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Richard Elling wrote:

This one stretches the models a bit.  In one model, the MTTDL is

For us storage newbies, what is MTTDL?  I would guess Mean Time
To Data Loss, which presumably is some multiple of the drives'
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)?

Correct,
MTTDL = Mean Time To Data Loss
MTBF = Mean Time Between Failures
MTTR = Mean Time To Recover
MTBS = Mean Time Between Services (eg. repair action)
MTBSI = Mean Time Between Service Interruption

When we talk about retention, we worry about MTTDL.
When we talk about data availability, we worry about MTBSI.
When we talk about spares stocking or service intervals, MTBS.
Systems architecture, component selection, and configuration all
interact with each other.  It would be nice to have some really
good dependability benchmarks to apply, but that discipline is
still in its early stages.
 -- richard