On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:13:16AM -0700, Brad Plecs wrote:
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6431277
>
> What I'd really like to see is ... the ability for the snapshot space
> to *not* impact the filesystem space).

Yep, as Eric mentioned, that is the purpose of this RFE ("want
filesystem-only quotas").

I imagine that this would be implemented as a quota against the space
"referenced" (as currently reported by 'zfs list', 'zfs get refer',
'df', etc; see the zfs(1m) manpage for details).

> in fact, I think a lot of ZFS's hierarchical features would be more
> valuable if parent filesystems included their descendants (backups and
> NFS sharing, for example), but I'm sure there are just as many
> arguments against that as for it.

Yep, we're working on making more features work on "this and all
descendents".  For example, the recently implemented 'zfs snapshot -r'
can create snapshots of a filesystem and all its descendents.  This
feature will be part of Solaris 10 update 3.  We're also working on 'zfs
send -r' (RFE 6421958).

--matt