Joseph Mocker wrote:
Richard Elling wrote:
The problem is that there are at least 3 knobs to turn (space, RAS, and
performance) and they all interact with each other.

Good point. then how about something more like

   zpool bench raidz favor space disk1 ... diskN
   zpool bench raidz favor performance disk1 .. diskN

That is, tell the analyzer which knob you are most interested in.

I wish it was that easy.  If I optimize for space, I'll always get a big,
fat RAID-0.  If I optimize for RAS, I'll get multi paned (N-way) mirror.
The tool has to be able to handle the spectrum in between those extremes.
 -- richard