Hi Bob,

you are using some non-Sun SCSI HBA. Could you please be more specific about HBA model and driver?

You are getting pretty the same high CPU load with write to single-disk UFS and raid-z. This may mean that the problem is not with ZFS itself.

Victor

Bob Evans wrote:
Robert,

Sorry about not being clearer.

The storage unit I am using is configured as follows:

X X X X X X X   X X X X X X X
\ \-- (Each X is an 18 GB SCSI Disk)

The first 7 disks have been used for the ZFS RaidZ, I used the last disk (#14)
for my UFS target.  The first 7 are on one scsi channel, the next 7 are on the
other channel.

Here is the output of zpool status:
  pool: z
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        z               ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz       ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t8d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Here is the format of each of the 14 disks in the array:
partition> print
Current partition table (original):
Total disk sectors available: 35548662 + 16384 (reserved sectors)

Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector        Size        Last Sector
  0        usr    wm                34      16.95GB         35548662
  1 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  2 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0          0              0
  8   reserved    wm          35548663       8.00MB         35565046

I ufs mounted the target disk by doing the following:

newfs /dev/rdsk/c4t8d0s0
mount /foo /dev/dsk/c4t8d0s0

Thanks!