Hi Eric,

this is a great proposal and I'm sure this is going to help administrators
a lot.

One small question below:

> Any property which contains a colon (':') is defined as a 'user
> property'.  The name can contain alphanumeric characters, plus the
> following special characters: ':', '-', '.', '_'.  User properties are
> always strings, and are always inherited.  No additional validation is
> done on the contents.  Properties are set and retrieved through the
> standard mechanisms: 'zfs set', 'zfs get', and 'zfs inherit'.

>       # zfs list -o name,local:department
>       NAME      LOCAL:DEPARTMENT
>       test      12345
>       test/foo  12345
>       # zfs set local:department=67890 test/foo
>       # zfs inherit local:department test
>       # zfs get -s local -r all test
>       NAME      PROPERTY          VALUE  SOURCE
>       test/foo  local:department  12345  local
>       # zfs list -o name,local:department
>       NAME      LOCAL:DEPARTMENT
>       test      -
>       test/foo  12345

the example suggests that properties may be case-insensitive. Is that the case
(sorry for the pun)? If so, that should be noted in the user defined property
definition just for clarity.

Best regards,
   Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Client Solutions                http://www.sun.de/