> On 12/09/06, Celso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > One of the great things about zfs, is that it
> protects not just against mechanical failure, but
> against silent data corruption. Having this available
> to laptop owners seems to me to be important to
> making zfs even more attractive.
>
> I'm not arguing against that. I was just saying that
> *if* this was useful to you
> (and you were happy with the dubious
> resilience/performance benefits) you can
> already create mirrors/raidz on a single disk by
> using partitions as
> building blocks.
> There's no need to implement the proposal to gain
> that.

It's not as granular though is it?

In the situation you  describe:

...you split one disk in two. you then have effectively two partitions which
you can then create a new mirrored zpool with. Then everything is mirrored.
Correct?

With ditto blocks, you can selectively add copies (seeing as how filesystem are
so easy to create on zfs). If you are only concerned with copies of your
important documents and email, why should /usr/bin be mirrored.

That's my opinion anyway. I always enjoy choice, and I really believe this is a
useful and flexible one.

Celso