> I was asking if it was going to be replaced because it would really
> simplify ZFS root.
>
> Dick.
>
> [0] going from:
>   http://solaristhings.blogspot.com/2006/06/zfs-root-on-solaris-part-3.html

I don't know about "replaced", but presumably with the addition of
hostid to the pool data, it could be enhanced.

For instance, VxVM has a similar file 'volboot'.  It's needed to import
any diskgroup that isn't "normal" (using entire disks).  So boot-time
imports consist of both scanning devices, looking for VxVM signatures,
then importing any with the correct hostid and flags, then attempting to
import other things explicicly mentioned in the volboot file.

Since you can put a ZFS pool in files, you're going to have to have a
cache or something like it since you're never going to scan them for
importable pools.

Sone one possible enhancement in ZFS could be that even if the cache
didn't have a given (full disk) pool, it could be scanned and imported
anyway.  I don't know if such a feature would be useful for the
implementation of ZFS root or not.  Either way it would have to wait for
the hostid stuff to go in.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]