Richard Elling - PAE wrote:
Anthony Miller wrote:
Hi,

I've search the forums and not found any answer to the following.

I have 2 JBOD arrays each with 4 disks.

I want to create create a raidz on one array and have it mirrored to the other array.

Today, the top level raid sets are assembled using dynamic striping.  There
is no option to assemble the sets with mirroring.  Perhaps the ZFS team can
enlighten us on their intentions in this area?

Our thinking is that if you want more redundancy than RAID-Z, you should use RAID-Z with double parity, which provides more reliability and more usable storage than a mirror of RAID-Zs would.

(Also, expressing "mirror of RAID-Zs" from the CLI would be a bit messy; you'd have to introduce parentheses in vdev descriptions or something.)

--matt