you don't really need to do the prtvtoc and fmthard with the old Sun labels if you start at cylinder 0 since you're doing a bit -> bit copy with dd .. but, keep in mind:

- The Sun VTOC is the first 512B and s2 *typically* should start at cylinder 0 (unless it's been redefined .. check!) - The EFI label though, reserves the first 17KB (34 blocks) and for a dd to work, you need to either: 1) dd without the slice (eg: dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0 of=/dev/rdsk/ c1t0d0 bs=128K)
or
2) prtvtoc / fmthard (eg: prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 > /tmp/ vtoc.out ; fmthard -s /tmp/vtoc.out /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

.je