On 10/31/06, Wes Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Okay, so now that I'm planning to build my NAS using ZFS, I now need to devise
or
learn of a preexisting method to receive notification of ZFS handled errors on a
remote > > machine.

For example, if a disk fails and I don't regularly login or SSH into the ZFS
server, I'd like > an email or some other notification immediately of the ZFS
event.

Are there already ways to do this?

I use the smartmontools smartd daemon to email me when disk drives are
about to fail. If you are interested in configuring smartd to send
email notifications prior to a disk failing, check out the following
blog post:

http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2006/01/05/using-smartd-on-solaris-systems-to-find-disk-drive-problems/

Thanks,
- Ryan