Cyril Plisko wrote:
On 11/2/06, Rick McNeal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The administration of FC devices for the target mode needs some serious
thinking so that we don't end up with a real nightmare on our hands.

As you point out the FC world doesn't separate the port address from the
target name. Therefore each FC target must support thousands of LUs. We
also need to support LU masking. I have no plans to support LU mapping
since that was created to support a certain OS which could only boot off
of LUN 0.

IMO there are more applications for LU mapping, than simple boot support.
Some systems are unable to address more than very modest (7!) number
of LU. I do not feel like ignoring LU mapping would be wise. Moreover
I believe that LU masking can be seen as a particular case of LU mapping.

I clearly need to get more input on the FC side of things. Regarding hosts that can only access 7 LUs I would wonder if they aren't already at capacity. If that's true would they even care about such a product.

Also need to support linking iSCSI targets with FC LUs. The emulation
code doesn't care about the transport layer so there's no reason why a
logical unit can't be exposed via iSCSI and FC.

Absolutely. That is quite logical thing to do.

I think I'll start another thread on this particular subject - FC target.

I too feel a FC target thread would be helpful.

Lot's of things to worry about.

> Can we do something similar to NFS case, where sharenfs can be
> "on", "off", or something else, in which case it is a list of options ?
> Would this technique be applicable to shareiscsi too ?

That's how the shareiscsi property works today.

So, why manipulating LUN is impossible via zfs ???

A ZVOL is a single LU, so there's nothing to manipulate. Could you give me an example of what you think should/could be changed?

--
----
Rick McNeal

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"