Roch - PAE wrote:

Not possible. Nothing related to ZFS here and if NFS had
ways to make this better i think it would have been done in v4.

If  we extended the protocol   to allow for exclusive mounts
(single  client access) then,  I would think  that the extra
knowledge could  be used  to gain speed...  I  don't know if
this was considered by the NFS forum.

This sounds very similar to delegations, quoting from RFC 3530

1.4.6.  Client Caching and Delegation

   The major addition to NFS version 4 in the area of caching is the
   ability of the server to delegate certain responsibilities to the
   client.  When the server grants a delegation for a file to a client,
   the client is guaranteed certain semantics with respect to the
   sharing of that file with other clients.  At OPEN, the server may
   provide the client either a read or write delegation for the file.
   If the client is granted a read delegation, it is assured that no
   other client has the ability to write to the file for the duration of
   the delegation.  If the client is granted a write delegation, the
   client is assured that no other client has read or write access to
   the file.

However IIRC the current state of the NFSv4 client in OpenSolaris is that this functionality is not supported. My knowledge of what we have done in NFSv4 in OpenSolaris is a little rusty though so I highly recommend follow up with the NFS community.

As for NFS performance it isn't all bad it is just as you have pointed out that there is a pathological case that is being used in these tests.

For some idea of what NFS can do see: http://blogs.sun.com/shepler/entry/spec_sfs_over_the_years

--
Darren J Moffat