Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I think the question is on the lines of how to
access and more importantly - Backup zfs pools/filesystems present on a system
by just booting from a CD/DVD.

I think the answer would be on the lines of (forced?) importing of zfs pools
present on the system and then using "zfs send /foo | star ...". The OP might
be looking at something convenient along the lines of ufsdump.

I think there is a need of a "zfsdump" tool (script?) or even better - zfs
integration in star. Maybe Jörg should chip in :-)