On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 14:56 +0100, Albert Shih wrote:
> That's impressive. Whath the size of the file you send throught ssh ? Is
> that size is exactly same of the FS or the occupation of FS ? Can I send
> just the diff ? For example
>
>       At t=0          I send a big file using your command
>       at t=t+1        I just send the diff not a big file

Yes. The "zfs send" contents are the amount of occupied space of the
filesystem at a given point in time (a snapshot). You can use "zfs send
-i" to send incremental snapshots, containing only the data that differs
between [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

More info in the ZFS man pages, the (excellent) ZFS Administration
guide, at
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/6n7ht6qt0?a=view (you want
Chapter 6)

and a blog post from Matt at:
http://blogs.sun.com/ahrens/entry/is_it_magic

Matt has mentioned some additional features to zfs send/recv coming
soon, including ways to send all incremental snapshots, send nested
filesystem, and ways to preserve filesystem properties while sending.

        cheers,
                        tim
--
Tim Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc, Solaris Engineering Ops
http://blogs.sun.com/timf