On Dec 2, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Dick Davies wrote:

On 02/12/06, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Dec 2, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Al Hopper wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

>> On Dec 2, 2006, at 6:01 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> When you have subtle corruption, some of the data and meta data is
>> bad but not all. In that case you can recover (and verify the data
>> if you have the means to do so) t he parts that did not get
>> corrupted.  My ZFS experience so far is that it basically said the
>> whole 20GB pool was dead and I seriously doubt all 20GB was
>> corrupted.

> That was because you built a pool with no redundancy.  In the case
> where
> ZFS does not have a redundant config from which to try to
> reconstruct the
> data (today) it simply says: sorry charlie - you pool is corrupt.

Where a RAID system would still be salvageable.

RAID level what? How is anything salvagable if you lose your only copy?

The whole raid does not fail -- we are talking about corruption here. If you lose some inodes your whole partition is not gone.

My ZFS pool would not salvage -- poof, whole thing was gone (granted it was a test one and not a raidz or mirror yet). But still, for what happened, I cannot believe that 20G of data got messed up because a 1GB cache was not correctly flushed.

Sorry for "bailing" on this topic. I did not mean to. Was on babysitting duty on the weekend and the new week hit with a vengeance on Monday. I will try and post a last post or two on the subject and let it die.

Chad

ZFS does store multiple copies of metadata in a single vdev, so I
assume we're talking about data here.

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider