> I thought this is what the T10 OSD spec was set up to address.  We've already
> got device manufacturers beginning to design and code to the spec.

Precisely. The interface to block-based devices forces much of the knowledge
that the file system and application have about access patterns to be thrown
away before the device gets involved. The current OSD specification allows
additional knowledge through ("Host X is accessing range Y of file Z.") I'm
hopeful that future revisions will go even further, allowing knowledge such as
"Process A on host X is accessing range Y of file Z," or even allowing
processes/streams to be managed across multiple hosts.)

OSD allows attributes as well; individual files could be tagged for a
redundancy level, for instance.

(To make this relevant to this ZFS discussion, perhaps it's worth pointing out
that ZFS would make an interesting starting point for certain types of OSD
implementation.)