Hello Jason,

JJWW> Hi Robert,

JJWW> I don't think its about assuming the admin is an idiot. It happened to
JJWW> me in development and I didn't expect it...I hope I'm not an idiot.
JJWW> :-)

JJWW> Just observing the list, a fair amount of people don't expect it. The
JJWW> likelihood you'll miss this one little bit of very important
JJWW> information in the manual or man page is pretty high. So it would be
JJWW> nice if an informational message appeared saying something like:

JJWW> "INFORMATION: If a member of this striped zpool becomes unavailable or
JJWW> develops corruption, Solaris will kernel panic and reboot to protect
JJWW> your data."

JJWW> I definitely wouldn't require any sort of acknowledgment of this
JJWW> message, such as requiring a "-f" flag to continue.

First sorry for my wording - no offense to anyone was meant.

I don't know it's like changing every tool in system so:

  # rm file
  INFORMATION: by removing file you won't be able to read it again

  # mv fileA fileB
  INFORMATION: by moving fileA to fileB you won't be able ....

  # reboot
  INFORMATION: by rebooting server it won't be up for some time

I don't know such behavior is desired.
If someone don't understand basic RAID concepts then perhaps some
assistant utilities (gui or cli) is more appropriate for them, like
Veritas did. But putting warning messages here and there to inform
user that he probably doesn't know what is he doing isn't a good
option.

Perhaps zpool status should explicitly show stripe groups with word
stripe, like:

   home
     stripe
       c0t0d0
       c0t1d0

So it will be more clear to people what they actually configured.
I would really hate a system informing me on every command that I
possibly don't know what I'm doing.

Maybe just a wrapper:

zfsassist redundant space-optimized disk0 disk1 disk2
zfsassist redundant speed-optimized disk0 disk1 disk2
zfsassist non-redundant disk0 disk1 disk2

you get the idea.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]