>> no no .. its a "feature".  :-P
>>
>>     If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck.
>>
>> a kernel panic that brings down a system is a bug.  Plain and simple.
>
> I disagree (nit).  A hardware fault can also cause a panic.  Faults != bugs.

  ha ha .. yeah.  If the sysadm walks over to a machine an pour coffee in
it then I guess it will fault all over the place.  No appreciation for
coffee I guess.

however ... when it comes to storage I expect that a disk failure or
hot swap will not cause a fault if and only if there still remains some
other storage device that holds the bits in a redundant fashion.

so .. disks can fail.  That should be okay.

even memory and processors can fail.  within reason.

> I do agree in principle, though.  Panics should be avoided whenever
> possible.

 coffee spillage also ..

> Incidentally, we do track the panic rate and collect panic strings.  The
> last detailed analysis I saw on the data showed that the vast majority were
> hardware induced.  This was a bit of a bummer because we were hoping that
> the tracking data would lead to identifying software bugs.

but it does imply that the software is way better than the hardware eh ?

--
Dennis Clarke