When messing around with zfs trying to break it, I creating a new pool using
files on an existing zfs filesystem.  It seem to work fine until I created a
snapshot of the original filesystem and then tried to destroy the pool using
the files.  The system appeared to deadlock and had to be rebooted.  When it
came back up the files pool was in an error state and could be destroyed.

I don't see much value in being able to do that but it might be a good idea to
have zpool error out instead of a creating a pool that could crash that system.