I should clarify.  Say I have a zfs with the mount point /u00 that I import on
the system.  When it creates the /u00 directory on the UFS root, it's created
with 700, and then the zfs is mounted and it appears to have the permissions of
the root of the zfs.  755 in this case.

But, if a non-root user tries "cd .." while in /u00, they get a permission
denied because the /u00 directory is 700 even though it doesn't show those
permissions in ls and they are not changeable with chmod . The only way to fix
it is unmount /u00, chmod the mount point, and then remount.  That's fine on my
test system but in production where I've already started up my database that
people are using, I can't just shut everything down and unmount the /u00
directory.

I probably wouldn't even have noticed this but bash seems to traverse up the
directory tree to determine CWD.  That creates an error (non fatal in this
case) in my oracle startup script that does a "su - oracle -c
"/u00/my/start/script.sh""

To reproduce, just unmount any zfs, chmod it's mount point to 700, remount, and
then try to "cd .." from a non-root user from the mount point directory.