Hi Robert,

I read the following section from
http://blogs.sun.com/roch/entry/when_to_and_not_to as indicating
random writes to a RAID-Z had the performance of a single disk
regardless of the group size:

Effectively,  as  a first approximation,  an  N-disk RAID-Z group will
behave as   a single   device in  terms  of  delivered    random input
IOPS. Thus  a 10-disk group of devices  each capable of 200-IOPS, will
globally act as a 200-IOPS capable RAID-Z group.

Best Regards,
Jason