On 1/10/07, Vahid Moghaddasi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
Why would I ever need to specify ZFS mount(s) in /etc/vfstab at all? I see it
in some documents that zfs can be defined in /etc/vfstab with fstype zfs.
Thanks.

I don't think it's a question of needing to be able to do so as much
as it is a useful transitional mechanism.  Some people might not be
comfortable with how ZFS keeps track of filesystems and where they
should be mounted, and vfstab is something they're used to dealing
with.

For example, at a previous job, we had a sanity-check script running
out of cron to verify that every file system that should have been
mounted actually was mounted and that every file system that actually
was mounted should have been mounted (in other words, that the mapping
of vfstab entries to (non-auto-)mounted filesystems was both
one-to-one and onto.)[1]

In the pre-ZFS world, knowing what "should" be mounted was simply a
question of looking at vfstab.  With ZFS, the filesystems that
"should" be mounted are those filesystems that _are_ mounted.  In this
model, a sanity-check script like this is meaningless, because there's
no longer an independent source of information to say what "should" be
mounted.

This is an example where this feature is convenient.  There might be
other examples where this feature is necessary.

Chad Mynhier

[1]  Note that the purpose of the script was mostly to guard against
operator error rather than system problems.  With vfstab, it would
take two independent actions to change what is mounted on a server and
the concept of what should be mounted there.  With ZFS, a single
action can change both of those.