On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:35 -0800, Richard Elling wrote:
> The product was called Sun PrestoServ.  It was successful for benchmarking
> and such, but unsuccessful in the market because:
>
>       + when there is a failure, your data is spread across multiple
>         fault domains
>
>       + it is not clusterable, which is often a requirement for data
>         centers
>
>       + it used a battery, so you had to deal with physical battery
>         replacement and all of the associated battery problems
>
>       + it had yet another device driver, so integration was a pain
>
> Google for it and you'll see all sorts of historical perspective.
>   -- richard

Yes, I remember (and used) PrestoServ. Back in the SPARCcenter 1000
days. :-)

And yes, local caching makes the system non-clusterable.   However, all
the other issues are common to a typical HW raid controller, and many
people use host-based HW controllers just fine and don't find their
problems to be excessive.

And, honestly, I wouldn't think another driver would be needed.
Attaching a SSD or similar usually uses an existing driver (it normally
appears as a SCSI or FC drive to the OS).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support