Frank Cusack wrote:
On January 19, 2007 6:47:30 PM -0800 Erik Trimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not to be picky, but the X2100 and X2200 series are NOT
designed/targeted for disk serving (they don't even have redundant power
supplies).  They're compute-boxes.  The X4100/X4200 are what you are
looking for to get a flexible box more oriented towards disk i/o and
expansion.

But x4100/x4200 only accept expensive 2.5" SAS drives, which have
small capacities.  That doesn't seem oriented towards disk serving.

-frank
Those are boot drives, and for those with small amounts of data (and, you get 73gb and soon 143gb drives in that form factor, which isn't really any different than typical 3.5" SCSI drive sizes).

No, I was talking about the internal architecture. The X4100/X4200 have multiple independent I/O buses, with lots of PCI-E and PCI-X slots. So if you were looking to hook up external storage (which was the original poster's intent), the X4100/X4200 is a much better match.

-Erik

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support