On 21-Jan-07, at 12:12 AM, Rich Teer wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Richard Elling wrote:

To be clear, Sun defines "hot swap" as a device which can be inserted or
removed without system administration tasks required.

Sun defines "hot plug" as a device which can be inserted or removed without causing damage or interruption to a running system, but which may require system administration. The vast majority of the disks Sun sells are hot
pluggable.

OK; given the above definitions, could you please confirm one way
or another that the disks in the X2100 are hot pluggable?  In other
words, if I have a pair of mirrored drives in an X2100 and one of
those drives dies, can I take out and replace the defective drive
without down time?

NO - unless you're running Windows AND "chipset RAID" (or whatever you want to call it). This is easily verified by experiment with Solaris 10.

More information via links I posted earlier in this thread, or buried in X2100 documentation.

--Toby

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638