Hi,

> When you do the initial install, how do you do the slicing?
>
> Just create like:
> / 10G
> swap 2G
> /altroot 10G
> /zfs restofdisk

yes.

> Or do you just create the first three slices and leave the rest of the
> disk untouched?  I understand the concept at this point, just trying to
> explain to a third party exactly what they need to do to prep the system
> disk for me :)

No. You need to be able to tell ZFS what to use. Hence, if your pool is
created at the slice level, you need to create a slice for it.

So the above is the way to go.

And yes, you only should do this on laptos and other machines where you only
have 1 disk or are otherwise very disk-limited :).

Best regards,
   Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Client Solutions                http://www.sun.de/