Correction: "ZFS has run VERY stably for us with  data integrity
issues at all." should read "ZFS has run VERY stably for us with  NO
data integrity issues at all."

On 1/26/07, Jason J. W. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

We're running a FLX210 which I believe is an Engenio 2884. In our case
it also is attached to a T2000. ZFS has run VERY stably for us with
data integrity issues at all.

We did have a significant latency problem caused by ZFS flushing the
write cache on the array after every write, but that can be fixed by
configuring your array to ignore cache flushes. The instructions for
Engenio products are here: http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/?itemid=44

We use the config for a production database, so I can't speak to the
NFS issues. All I would mention is to watch the RAM consumption by
ZFS.

Does anyone on the list have a recommendation for ARC sizing with NFS?

Best Regards,
Jason

On 1/26/07, Jeffery Malloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am currently in the midst of setting up a completely new file server using a pretty
well loaded Sun T2000 (8x1GHz, 16GB RAM) connected to an Engenio 6994 product (I work for
LSI Logic so Engenio is a no brainer).  I have configured a couple of zpools from Volume
groups on the Engenio box - 1x2.5TB and 1x3.75TB.  I then created sub zfs systems below that
and set quotas and sharenfs'd them so that it appears that these "file systems"
are dynamically shrinkable and growable.  It looks very good...  I can see the correct file
system sizes on all types of machines (Linux 32/64bit and of course Solaris boxes) and if I
resize the quota it's picked up in NFS right away.  But I would be the first in our
organization to use this in an enterprise system so I definitely have some concerns that I'm
hoping someone here can address.

> 1.  How stable is ZFS?  The Engenio box is completely configured for RAID5
with hot spares and write cache (8GB) has battery backup so I'm not too concerned
from a hardware side.  I'm looking for an idea of how stable ZFS itself is in
terms of corruptability, uptime and OS stability.

> 2.  Recommended config.  Above, I have a fairly simple setup.  In many of the
examples the granularity is home directory level and when you have many many users
that could get to be a bit of a nightmare administratively.  I am really only
looking for high level dynamic size adjustability and am not interested in its
built in RAID features.  But given that, any real world recommendations?

> 3.  Caveats?  Anything I'm missing that isn't in the docs that could turn
into a BIG gotchya?

> 4.  Since all data access is via NFS we are concerned that 32 bit systems
(Mainly Linux and Windows via Samba) will not be able to access all the data areas
of a 2TB+ zpool even if the zfs quota on a particular share is less then that.
Can anyone comment?

> The bottom line is that with anything new there is cause for concern.
Especially if it hasn't been tested within our organization.  But the
convenience/functionality factors are way too hard to ignore.