> A number that I've been quoting, albeit without a good reference, comes
> from Jim Gray, who has been around the data-management industry for
> longer than I have (and I've been in this business since 1970); he's
> currently at Microsoft.  Jim says that the controller/drive subsystem
> writes data to the wrong sector of the drive without notice about once
> per drive per year.  In a 400-drive array, that's once a day.  ZFS will
> detect this error when the file is read (one of the blocks' checksum
> will not match).  But it can only correct the error if it manages the
> redundancy.

So now with ZFS, can anyone with a 400 drive array confirm that a
"scrub" has to fix roughly one problem a day? (Or modify appropriately
for whatever amount of drives.)

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org