On 27-Jan-07, at 4:57 AM, Frank Cusack wrote:

On January 27, 2007 12:27:17 AM -0200 Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 26-Jan-07, at 11:34 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
3. I created file system with huge amount of data, where most of the
data is read-only. I change my server from intel to sparc64 machine.
Adaptive endianess only change byte order to native on write and
because
file system is mostly read-only, it'll need to byteswap all the time.
And here comes 'zfs rewrite'!

Why would this help? (Obviously file data is never 'swapped').

Metadata (incl checksums?) still has to be byte-swapped.

I'm aware, but is this really ever going to be an issue?

--T

Or would
atime updates also force a metadata update?  Or am I totally mistaken.

-frank