[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 27-Jan-07, at 10:15 PM, Anantha N. Srirama wrote:

... ZFS will not stop alpha particle induced memory corruption after data has been received by server and verified to be correct. Sadly I've been hit with that as well.
My brother points out that you can use a rad hardened CPU. ECC should take care of the RAM. :-)

I wonder when the former will become data centre best practice?

Alpha particles which "hit" CPUs must have their origin inside said CPU.

(Alpha particles do not penentrate skin, paper, let alone system cases
or CPU packagaging)

Casper

But, but, but, they'll get my brain without this nice shiny aluminum cap I made!

Cosmic (aka Gamma) Radiation, folks.

And, I think we've jumped the shark.

--
Erik Trimble