On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:15:30PM -0800, Anantha N. Srirama wrote:

> I'm not sure what benefit you forsee by running a COW filesystem
> (ZFS) on a COW array (NetApp).

The application requires a filesystem with POSIX semantics.  My first
choice would be NFS from the Netapp, but this won't work in this case.
My next choice is an iSCSI LUN with a local filesystem on it.  I'm
assuming that since ZFS is more modern than UFS, that ZFS would be the
best of the two, even though the JBOD-oriented features of ZFS will
not be used.

ZFS does seem to be more manageable than UFS.  Filesystems that draw
their space from a common pool is ideal for our application.  The
ability to expand a pool by adding another device, or by extending a
existing device, is also ideal.  Another feature is snapshots, which
I've mentioned earlier.