Dumping to a file in a zfs file system is not supported yet.
The zfs file system does not support the VOP_DUMP and
VOP_DUMPCTL operations. This is bug 5008936 (ZFS and/or
zvol should support dumps).

Lori

Peter Buckingham wrote:
Hi All,

I'd like to set up dumping to a file. This file is on a mirrored pool using zfs. It seems that the dump setup doesn't work with zfs. This worked for both a standard UFS slice and a SVM mirror using zfs.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or is this not yet supported on ZFS?

Note this is Solaris 10 Update 3, but I don't think that should matter..

thanks,

peter

Using ZFS
========
HON hcb116 ~ $  mkfile  -n 1g /var/adm/crash/dump-file
HON hcb116 ~ $ dumpadm -d /var/adm/crash/dump-file
dumpadm: dumps not supported on /var/adm/crash/dump-file

Using UFS
========
HON hcb115 ~ $  mkfile  -n 1g /data/0/test
HON hcb115 ~ $ dumpadm -d /data/0/test
     Dump content: kernel pages
      Dump device: /data/0/test (dedicated)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/stuff