On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:37:57PM -0500, David Magda wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 20:27, Toby Thain wrote:
>
> >On 29-Jan-07, at 11:02 PM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> >
> >>I seem to remember the Massive Array of Independent Disk guys ran
> >>into
> >>a problem I think they called static friction, where idle drives
> >>would
> >>fail on spin up after being idle for a long time:
> >
> >You'd think that probably wouldn't happen to a spare drive that was
> >spun up from time to time. In fact this problem would be (mitigated
> >and/or) caught by the periodic health check I suggested.
>
> What about a rotating spare?
>
> When setting up a pool a lot of people would (say) balance things
> around buses and controllers to minimize single  points of failure,
> and a rotating spare could disrupt this organization, but would it be
> useful at all?

Agami Systems has the concept of "Enterprise Sparing", where the hot
spare is distributed amongst data drives in the array. When a failure
occurs, the rebuild occurs in parallel across _all_ drives in the
array:
  http://www.issidata.com/specs/agami/enterprise-classreliability.pdf

--
albert chin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])