you can still do some lun masking at the HBA level (Solaris 10)
this feature is call "blacklist"

On 1/31/07, Dale Ghent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jan 24, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Frank Cusack wrote:

>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:46:11AM -0800, Moazam Raja wrote:
>>
>> Note that the 3511 is being replaced with the 6140:
>
> Which is MUCH nicer but also much pricier.  Also, no non-RAID option.

The 6140 is nicer in terms of performance.

However if you have STK 35xx units now and want to replace them with
6140, AND you do LUN masking, be prepared to pay an extra double-
digit percentage of the base cost of a 6140 to enable that feature.
Not cool.

I call shenanigans on Engenio for that, and raise an eyebrow at Sun
for breaking feature continuity across the product line.

However FC target for Solaris is very compelling, especially where
one may have only 100/1Gb ethernet and a 2 or 4Gb FC SAN. It's a no-
brainer there which interconnect you want your targets to flow over
in a high bandwidth environ.

Yeah sure it "might" eat into STK profits, but one will still have to
go there for redundant controllers. See, I have this dream of a
stripped down appliance-oriented Solaris OS, with ZFS,
NFSv<whatever>, iSCSI client and target server, FC target, and remote
replication via the incoming AVS. Just add a UI, CIMOM provider, and
a CLI.

Most of those bits are there already to make a swiss army knife of
storage anyway, and the more avenues that allow the inflow and
outflow of data, the better.

/dale