On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Robert Milkowski wrote:

Hello eric,

IIRC Bill posted here some tie ago saying the problem with write cache
on the arrays is being worked on.

ek> Yep, the bug is:
ek> 6462690 sd driver should set SYNC_NV bit when issuing SYNCHRONIZE
ek> CACHE to
ek> SBC-2 devices

Thanks. I see a workaround there (I saw it earlier but it doesn't
apply to 3510) and I have a question - setting zil_disable to 1
won't actually completely disable cache flushing, right? (still every
txg group completes cache would be flushed)??

Right, zil_disable is orthogonal to flushing the write cache. With or without the ZIL, ZFS is consistent on disk. Disabling the flushing of the write cache (as Neil just mentioned) *can cause corruption*.

ek> The tricky part is getting vendors to actually support SYNC_NV bit.
ek> If you your favorite vendor/array doesn't support it, feel free to
ek> give them a call...

Is there any work being done to ensure/check that all arrays Sun sells
do support it?

We're working it from our end, but i'm sure we won't cover all 3rd party vendors...

eric