>  > That is interesting. Could this account for disproportionate kernel
>  > CPU usage for applications that perform I/O one byte at a time, as
>  > compared to other filesystems? (Nevermind that the application
>  > shouldn't do that to begin with.)
>
> I just quickly measured this (overwritting files in CHUNKS);
> This is a software benchmark (I/O is non-factor)
>
>       CHUNK   ZFS vz UFS
>
>       1B      4X slower
>       1K      2X slower
>       8K      25% slower
>       32K     equal
>       64K     30% faster
>
> Quick and dirty but I think it paints a picture.
> I can't really answer your question though.

I should probably have said "other filesystems on other platforms", I
did not really compare properly on the Solaris box. In this case it
was actually BitTorrent (the official python client) that was
completely CPU bound in kernel space, and tracing showed single-byte
I/O.

Regardless, the above stats are interesting and I suppose consistent
with what one might expect, from previous discussion on this list.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org