Roch

what's the minimum allocation size for a file in zfs? I get 1024B by my calculation (1 x 512B block allocation (minimum) + 1 x 512B inode/ znode allocation) since we never pack file data in the inode/znode. Is this a problem? Only if you're trying to pack a lot files small byte files in a limited amount of space, or if you're concerned about trying to access many small files quickly.

VxFS has a 96B "immediate area" for file, symlink, or directory data; NTFS can store small files in the MFT record; NetApp WAFL can also store small files in the 4KB inode (16 Block pointers = 128B?) .. if you look at some of the more recent OSD papers and some of the Lustre/ BlueArc work you'll see that this topic comes into play for performance in pre-fetching file data and locality issues for optimizing heavy access of many small files.

---
.je