Adrian,

Seems like a cool idea to me :-) Not sure if there is anything of this kind being thought about...
Would be a good idea to file an RFE.

Regards,
Sanjeev

Adrian Saul wrote:
Not sure how technically feasible it is, but something I thought of while
shuffling some files around my home server.  My poor understanding of ZFS
internals is that the entire pool is effectivly a tree structure, with nodes
either being data or metadata.  Given that, couldnt ZFS just change a directory
node to a filesystem with little effort, allowing me do everything ZFS does
with filesystems on a subset of my filesystem :)

Say you have some filesystems you created early on before you had a good idea
of usage.  Say for example I made a large share filesystem and started filling
it up with photos and movies and some assorted downloads.  A few months later I
realise it would be so much nicer to be able to snapshot my movies and photos
seperatly for backups, instead of doing the whole share.

Not hard to work around - zfs create and a mv/tar command and it is done... some time later.  If
there was say  a "zfs graft <directory> <newfs>" command, you could just break
of the directory as a new filesystem and away you go - no copying, no risking cleaning up the wrong
files etc.

Corollary - zfs "merge" - take a filesystem and merge it into an existing
filesystem.

Just a thought - any comments welcome.