[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Matt,

Generally, when a disk needs to be replaced, you replace the disk,
use the zpool replace command, and you're done...

This is only a little more complicated in your scenario below because
of the sharing the disk between ZFS and UFS.

Most disks are hot-pluggable so you generally don't need to shut down
the system to replace the disk, but only you know if your disks
are hot-pluggable. In addition, if the disk is shared between UFS
and ZFS contains important system files, then you might need
to bring the system down.

However, you don't need to use zpool detach or zpool add if you are
just replacing the disk.

The steps would look like this:

1. Shut down the system (if necessary)
2. Replace the faulty disk
3. Set up the slices on replacement disk as needed
4. Bring the system back up (if necessary)
5. Run this command:

# zpool replace mainpool c0t0d0s4

Let us know how it goes, particularly me, since I need to know if this
works as documented. :-)

Thanks,

This works exactly as documented; I upgraded a 4 disk raidz config
from 250 GB drives to 500 GB drives one at a time by shutting
down, removing one of the drives, replacing it w/ a bigger drive,
rebooting, typing zpool status, finding the name of the missing/
faulted drive and using that as the disk argument to zpool replace.

When the 4th resilver finished, I had lots more disk space
all of a sudden.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts