On 2/22/07, Gregory Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I was thinking of something similar to a scrub.   An ongoing process
seemed too intrusive.  I'd envisioned a cron job similar to a scrub (or
defrag) that could be run periodically to show any differences between disk
performance over time.

I thought this would be very difficult to determine, as a slow disk could be
a transient problem.

Me, I like tools that give me information I can work with.   Fully
automated systems always seem to cause more problems than they solve.

If the stats are publishable,  then something like cacti or any monitoring
tool should provide most admins with enough tools to spot potential issues.

Nicholas