HI !

Well as per my actual post, i created a zfs file as part of Sun cluster
HAStoragePlus, and then disconned the FC cable, since there was no active
IO hence the failure of disk was not detected, then i touched a file in
the zfs filesystem, and it went fine, only after that when i did sync then
the node panicked and zfs filesystem is failed over to other node. On the
othernode the file i touched is not there in the same zfs file system
hence i am saying that data is lost. I am planning to deploy zfs in a
production NFS environment with above 2TB of Data where users are
constantly updating file. Hence my concerns about data integrity. Please
explain.

thaks

Ayaz Anjum

Darren Dunham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
03/12/2007 05:45 AM

cc

Subject
Re: Re[2]: [zfs-discuss] writes lost with zfs !

> I have some concerns here,  from my experience in the past, touching a
> file ( doing some IO ) will cause the ufs filesystem to failover, unlike

> zfs where it did not ! Why the behaviour of zfs different than ufs ?

UFS always does synchronous metadata updates.  So a 'touch' that creates
a file is going to require a metadata write.

ZFS writes may not necessarily hit the disk until a transaction group
flush.

> is not this compromising data integrity ?

It should not.  Is there a scenario that you are worried about?

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Confidentiality Notice : This e-mail  and  any attachments  are
confidential  to  the addressee and may also be privileged.  If  you are
not  the addressee of  this e-mail, you may not copy, forward, disclose or
otherwise use it in any way whatsoever.  If you have received this e-mail
by mistake,  please  e-mail  the sender by replying to this message, and
delete the original and any print out thereof.