> I still haven't got any "warm and fuzzy" responses
> yet solidifying ZFS in combination with Firewire or USB enclosures.

I was unable to use zfs (that is "zpool create" or "mkfs -F ufs") on
firewire devices, because scsa1394 would hang the system as
soon as multiple concurrent write commands are submitted to it.

I filed bug 6445725 (which disappeared in the scsa1394
bugs.opensolaris.org black hole), submitted a fix and
requested a sponsor for the fix[*], but not much has happened
with fixing this problem in opensolaris.

There is no such problem with USB mass storage devices.

[*] http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=46190