Mike,
Take a look at
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8100808442979626078&q=CSI%3Amunich

Granted, this was for demo purposes, but the team in Munich is clearly leveraging USB sticks for their purposes.
HTH,
Bev.

mike wrote:
I still haven't got any "warm and fuzzy" responses yet solidifying ZFS
in combination with Firewire or USB enclosures.

I am looking for 4-10 drive enclosures for quiet SOHO desktop-ish use.
I am trying to confirm that OpenSolaris+ZFS would be stable with this,
if exported out as JBOD and allow ZFS to manage each disk
individually.

Enclosure idea (choose one): http://fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php/cPath/1_88
Would be looking to use 750GB SATA2 drives, or IDE is fine too.

Would anyone be willing to speak up and give me some faith in this
before I invest money into a solution that won't work? I don't intend
on hot-plugging any of these devices, just using Firewire (or USB, if
I can find a big enclosure) since it is a cheap and reliable
interconnect (eSATA seems to be a little too new for use with
OpenSolaris unless I have some PCI-X slots)

Any help is appreciated. I'd most likely use a Shuttle XPC as the
"head unit" for all of this - it is quiet and small. (I'm looking to
downsize my beefy huge noisy heavy tower with limited space
availability) - obviously bandwidth on the bus would be limited the
more drives sharing the same cable. That would be my only design
constraint.

Thanks a ton. Again, any input (good, bad, ugly, personal experiences
or opinions) is appreciated A LOT!

- mike