On April 12, 2007 3:47:06 PM -0600 Bruce Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Management here is worried about performance under ZFS because they had
a bad experience with Instant Image a number of years ago.  When iiamd
was used, server performance was reduced to a crawl.  Hence they want
proof in the form of benchmarking that zfs snapshots will not adversely
affect system performance.  They suggested creating, snapshotting,
copying and generally messing about with some 1 gb files.  The system is
an E450 running snv_52 with a 36 gb boot drive, 142 Gb data drive and
two 9 gb SAN partitions, one on slow disk, one on fast.  The 36 gb is
formatted ufs, everything else zfs.

I time mkfile'ing a 1 gb file on ufs and copying it, then did the same
thing on each zfs partition.  Then I took snapshots, copied files, more
snapshots, keeping timings all the way.  I could find no appreciable
performance hit.

Is this a sufficient, valid test?

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your questions since I refuse to accept
these terms.  As I don't have any idea who the "system manager" is, I
guess I have no one to go to about this problem!

You do realize your confidential email has been gateway'd to the web
and indexed by google and other search engines?

-frank