[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 05/10/2007 02:19:17 PM:

> I have a scenario where I have several ORACLE databases.  I'm trying to
> keep system downtime to a minimum for business reasons.  I've created
> zpools on three devices, an internal 148 Gb drive (data) and two
> partitions on an HP SAN.  HP won't do JBOD so I'm stuck with relying
> upon HP to give me a clean partition and do all the dirty work in the
> background.  On the SAN I've got slow disk and fast disk.  Hence, I've
> created the following:

I do not get it -- your goal is to keep downtime to a minimum and you are
forgoing hot (online) backups? Even with snap/clones you are still
thrashing the same volume and db performance will be degraded as the data
is read from disk for the backup,  you really gain little going to cold
state.

http://orafaq.com/faqdbabr.htm#HOW

Networker has an oracle hot backup extension -- or you can do it on the
cheap with a pre/post script (google rman).

http://software.emc.com/products/software_az/networker_module_for_oracle.htm

-Wade