David Bustos wrote:
> Quoth Steven Sim on Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:55:37AM +0800:
>
>>    Gurus;
>>    I am exceedingly impressed by the ZFS although it is my humble opinion
>>    that Sun is not doing enough evangelizing for it.
>>

> What else do you think we should be doing?

Send Thumpers to every respectable journal for a review!  That's
probably a problem for marketing, how to target the the publications the
people with the check books read to broaden the awareness of ZFS.

Just about every x86 server manufacturer provides and promotes the
features of hardware RAID solutions, maybe Sun should make more of the
cost savings in storage ZFS offers to gain a cost advantage over the
competition, or even "save $ on HP servers by running Solaris an
removing the RAID".

How about some JBOD only storage products?  Or at least make hardware
RAID a add on an option, to cater for a broader market.

Trying to break (especially windows) administrators and CIOs out of the
"hardware RAID is best" or even "hardware RAID is essential" mindset is
a tough ask.  As hardware RAID drops in price and moves into consumer
grade products, ZFS will loose the cost advantage (just try and get a
JBOD only SATA card, I only know of one).

Ian